Monday 3 May 2010

Anny Celsi and Nelson Bragg


Blimey what a week, and more yet. Thrown headlong into my new world. Wiped the dust of Camden Libraries off my boots for the last time on Thursday and it's just been the mad world of music ever since.

In fact it kicked off on Wednesday when I was playing tunes over at What's Cookin' for Anny Celsi and Viper Central. Anny has a fab album called Tangle-Free World which Kevin Mathews reviewed in BoB#74. It's a very 60s sound with lots of Wondermintsy types helping out and it's produced by Nelson Bragg. The opening title track is lovely with gorgeous sitar, and there's a cool cover of 'Some Velvet Morning'. The performance tonight was stripped down; just Anny on guitar and harmonica, and Nelson on drums; but nice versions throughout and Nelson did 'Forever Days' off his Day Into Night record.




Viper Central are a Canadian bluegrass band and they delivered the goods too. Anny and Nelson got up and sang with them on the last encore, an un-miked gospel song.

I was my usual contrary self. This is what I played:

The Morning I Get To Hell – The Duke And The King
Dear Head On The Wall – Charlie Sexton
Tell It To The Raven – Joey Kline
Bring Back The Past – Roky Erickson
Treasure Of The Orient – Shakin’ Apostles
A Public Execution – Mouse
Positively 4th Street – Bob Dylan
Downtown – Petula Clark
(I Know) A Girl Called Jonny – Rowland S. Howard

That’s How I Got To Memphis – Kelly Willis
Back In The Night – Dr Feelgood
Ghost On The Highway – The Gun Club
All The Action – Chris Wilson and His Shameless Pickups

Rhythm & Blues – Ben Folke Thomas
Follow The River – Danny & The Champions Of The World
Murder In My Heart For The Judge – Moby Grape
Love’s Melody – Elizabeth McQueen and The Firebrands
Still Learning – Darrell Bath
John Lawman – Roky Erickson
Sister Lost Soul – Alejandro Escovedo

No comments: